Glossary of Terms


What’s an MC #?

You will need a Motor Carrier number (MC#)if you will act as a for-hire carrier, doing interstate commerce, transporting federally regulated commodities or arranging for transport, in interstate commerce.

What is a USDOT #?

You are required to obtain a USDOT number if you have a vehicle that:

–           Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous and transported in a quantity requiring placarding (whether interstate or intrastate).


–           Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536kg (10,001 pounds) or more whichever is greater.

AND is involved in Interstate Commerce; Trade, traffic, or transportation in the United States:

–           Between a place in a State and a place outside of such State

(including a place outside of the United States).

–           Between two places in a State through another State or place outside of the United States; or

–           Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the State or the United States.

You are required by the FMCSA to obtain a USDOT Number and comply with all the Federal Regulations.

Form BOC – 3 (Blanket of Coverage) This allows you to have an designated person in each state who can accept legal documents in your behalf and then forward them onto your state in which you reside. This is required in order to obtain authority and keep authority.

For Friendly, Personal Help in obtaining your New Carrier Authority, call 800-256-4130

Call us at 800-256-4130

Getting signed up for your new carrier authority is easy! Just fill out the form on this page, or give us a call to receive friendly, personal help.

Contact Us Now