Get Started

Trucking Authority

There are two sides you need to complete: Federal and State.


MC Number (takes approximately 3 weeks)

Issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)

USDOT Number (takes 3-4 weeks)

Form BOC-3, Designation of Agents for Service of Process (takes 1 week)


The FMCSA only requires $750,000 primary liability coverage, but most shippers/brokers require $1,000,000 to load you. The most common amount requested for cargo insurance is $100,000, but this would depend on what commodity you’re hauling and who you are hauling for. You should apply for Insurance within the first few weeks after your MC number is filed, otherwise delays can occur with your authority processing.


UCRA – Unified Carrier Registration Agreement. Fees are calculated based on the number of trucks you operate. You must have this UCRA number or else the USDOT officers will immediately stop your truck from operating on the road.

IFTA – International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) is for trucks operating between multiple states. You are required to track all the miles you drive in each state and report them to IFTA. Quarterly tax returns must be filed.

IRP – International Registration Plan – yearly fee to register and operate your truck in each state. The cost is variable, determined by the number of miles you run in each state for the year.

Simple Permits: KY, NM, NY, OR – These states require an extra permit to run within the boundaries of their state. After you register, taxes are due based on the number of miles you drove your truck in each of these states.

Please see our Glossary of Terms for any questions on terms.

Call us at 800-256-4130 to receive friendly, personal help!

Call us at 800-256-4130

Getting signed up for your new carrier authority is easy! Just fill out the form on this page, or give us a call to receive friendly, personal help.

Contact Us Now